Showing results within 5 miles of zipcode 19067
The Tate House, part of the George School campus, was built in 1756 by Anthony Tate. During the Revolutionary War, his son (Dr. James Tate) was a physician and army officer. To keep his surgical skills in good form, Dr. Tate would practice by dissecting
cadavers. On one occasion, he dug up the body of a Hessian soldier and brought the cadaver back to his home laboratory for dissection. Once he was done, he buried the remains of the soldier in a shallow grave dug into the floor of his basement. According to legend, every time one walks over the grave with a lighted candle or flashlight, the flame will blow out or the light will go off. Former owners have complained of not being able to keep the pilot light of water heaters lit.